Columbus, Ohio-Earlier Wednesday, staff detached the statue of Christopher Columbus from the front of City Hall.
Shortly before 6:30 a.m. local time,
the statue lifted off from the place where it was standing with great honor in the city hall.
Within an hour, the statue was kept on a flatbed truck and taken away from the area.
According to a press release issued by the city on Wednesday morning, Smoot Construction participated in the
work of moving the statue, “The statue will be kept in a safe city facility.”
Last month, Mayor Andrew J. Ginther said he does not want to see the statue, and will be removed from the city hall.
The Town Hall statue has long been the aim of home protests and is one of the three Christopher Columbus
statues in the city. As a start of this week, Columbus State Community College announced that it would
demolish the statue of an Italian explorer located on its downtown campus. One third is still in front of the Ohio Assembly.
After the announcement, the city hall and the Columbus statue in Columbus State were destroyed.
In protests against police aggression and discrimination, protesters across the country targeted similar statues.
The group praised this decision. They said that the Columbus statue portrayed the genocide of the New World
by the explorer and the exploitation of the indigenous people,
while the Italian-Americans opposed it. They said that the statue was a forged work of good faith and should be saving.
Ginther called on the Columbus Art Commission to make some efforts to substitute the statues with public
artworks that better imitate the people of Columbus and endow with a common vision for the future.
The statue was a gift that Columbus gave to Columbus from its sister city Genoa, Italy, and was placed in the city hall in 1955.
Columbus, Ohio is the country’s largest city,
named after an Italian explorer, although some community members advocate completely changing the name of the city.
In 2018, the city stopped making Columbus Day
a holiday and instead took a holiday on Veterans Day.
- Watch: Shinratensei98 Leaked Video Goes Viral on Twitter and Reddit Full Explained!
- Kevin Spacey charged for sexually assaulting three men
- ‘Take Me Out’ star Jesse Williams leaked Video Trending after Tony nomination
- The hilarity continues as Courteney Cox transforms into “Friends” characters with a face filter: “This is one of the worst apps I’ve ever seen.”
- This Week’s New Releases: Camila Cabello, Tony Hawk, and Tokyo Vice
- SHOCKING NEWS | PM IMRAN KHAN RESIGNS | LIVE UPDATE
- The slap of Will Smith sparks a debate about defending black women
- KDJ Indicator in Trading – An Overview