Mayor Sylvester Turner confirmed Wednesday that Rodeo officials has canceled the Houston Rodeo 2020 as a preventive measure in the face of the coronavirus outbreak.
Turner reported that the majority of local cases of the disease are related to international travel except for one infected. From Harris County, who does not appear to have ties to travelers.
The mayor said that the goal is to maintain the security conditions of the community, minimizing the risk of contagion. And that therefore prevention measures are reinforced, which includes a local emergency declaration that allocates funds to the city. And it will be signed at the end of the day, with an extendable validity of one week.
Houston Rodeo 2020: With the cancellation of the rodeo, the related concerts are also void. And it was learned that the Tour of Houston would be re-scheduled.
Rodeo officials Statement
Rodeo officials said in a statement that having to close early was extremely hard as guests, exhibitors, volunteers, entertainers, and rodeo athletes looked forward to the 20 days of the Rodeo every year. They looked forward to the 2021 Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo to continue to promote education, agriculture, Western heritage, and entertainment.
President and CEO of Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo Joel Cowley said that he was in a position to fulfill his annual contribution to youth and education.
Indeed, even before Turner made the declaration official, participants disclosed to ABC13 the carnival rides were never again permitting visitors to board.
One man said that he guessed he was going home. He had just got there. And he had tried to get on some rides, and they had not let him on.
One mother said that those babies had not ridden a single thing. Facepaint and food were all they had got. It was their spring break, and all she could do was say ‘I’m sorry’. She would not have them out there if she had been scared of what they were scared of.