US is going to BAN WeChat and TikTok downloads on Sunday

Helen Dunmore Sep 19, 2020
Spread the love

The Ministry of Commerce plans to restrict access to TikTok and WeChat on Sunday because the Trump administration’s executive order against these two apps is about to take effect.

The Ministry of National Defense said on Friday that starting Sunday, any move to distribute or maintain WeChat or TikTok on the app store would be prohibited. Apple and Google did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

FILE – Icons for the smartphone apps TikTok and WeChat are seen on a smartphone screen in Beijing, in a Friday, Aug. 7, 2020 file photo. The Commerce Department said President Trump’s proposed ban of the apps WeChat and TikTok will go into effect Sunday, Sept. 20, to “safeguard the national security of the United States.” The government said its order, previously announced by Trump in August, will “combat China’s malicious collection of American citizens’ personal data.” (AP Photo/Mark Schiefelbein, File)

Although users who have already downloaded the application can continue to use the software, these restrictions mean that they cannot download updated versions of the application.

Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross said

Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross said at Fox Business on Friday, “As of Sunday night, the only real change will be [TikTok users] not being able to access improved apps, updated apps, upgraded apps.

The restrictions on WeChat are more extensive. The Ministry of Information said in a press release that starting Sunday, it will be illegal to host or transfer Internet traffic related to WeChat. The company said that as of November 12, TikTok is the same. (The Trump administration is currently weighing a proposal involving TikTok’s Chinese parents ByteDance and Oracle, which aims to address the government’s national security issues related to TikTok; the deadline for the transaction is November 12.)

Read Also: Rosh Hashanah 2020 Begins This Weekend

TikTok said in a statement that

it did not agree with the government’s announcement and was disappointed.

It is still possible to announce further restrictions in the future, including restrictions on other applications, if they considered an alternative.

The US government suggested in an earlier court document that restrictions on TikTok and WeChat would be restricted, not to harm consumers or TikTok’s US employees.

TikTok employees can still receive salaries and benefits and engage in daily work without violating the prohibition.

In a separate document on September 15, the US government warned that due to upcoming policies, communication through WeChat may be “damaged”, but “users will not be targeted or punished.”

Today’s action once again demonstrates that President Trump will do his best to protect our national security and protect Americans from the threat of the Chinese Communist Party. Under the President’s guidance, we have taken major actions to resist China. The malicious collection of personal data of American citizens also promotes our national values, norms based on democratic rules, and active enforcement of American laws and regulations.

Latest News

Follow us on Social Media

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Next Post

4.6 Magnitude Earthquake Rattles SoCal

Spread the loveEarthquake On Saturday morning, residents across Southern California were inspecting their homes and apartments to see if there was any damage caused by the 4.6 magnitude earthquake, which occurred two miles south of Rosemead and included in Orange County. It felt within most of the area. The earthquake […]
earthquake